Best of Italy end Naples (Winter 2019-2020)
Brochure Type: Europe & Britain Premium 2019
Roman antiquities, saintly Assisi, Venetian canals, Renaissance Florence and Capri's brilliant sunlight come together on this superb journey across Italy, with the option to end in Naples or Rome.
- Tuscany: Taste locally-made wines and sample delicious Tuscan snacks in the underground cellar of Machiavelli's home. Visit the Italian gardens and be privy to a private opening of the of?ce where he wrote 'The Prince.'
- Sorrento: Enjoy a glorious Celebration Dinner of fresh, rustic dishes served with local wine.
- Dining Summary: 9 Breakfasts (B), 1 Afternoon Tea (AT) and 5 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Rome: Sightsee the local way with a leisurely passeggiata through the backstreets, where a friend in Rome will explain how modern life takes place around ancient treasures.
- Vatican City: Gain VIP fast-track entrance into the Vatican Museums and enjoy a special private viewing of the Bramante Staircase before admiring the genius of Michelangelo's painted ceiling in the Sistine Chapel. You'll also visit St. Peter's Basilica.
- Florence: Gain a fascinating insight into the work of Michelangelo's masterpiece, David, with a Renaissance art expert during your visit to the Accademia Museum.
- Venice: Witness the ancient skill of glassblowing while watching artisans create delicate works of art.
- Assisi: Hotel Giotto Assisi is located in the centre of the medieval village of Assisi with beautiful views over the Umbrian countryside. Guest rooms are decorated in local Umbrian style.
- Venice Carnival: For a selected time in February, Venice welcomes exuberant costumes during the world-famous carnival. Don a traditional Venetian mask and join in the extravagant festivities of the Carnevale Venezia.
- Rome: See the mighty Colosseum and Roman Forum. You will also see other medieval buildings, including Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered throughout the city.
- Florence: Enjoy panoramic views over of the city and see the Florence Cathedral. During your guided walking orientation, see the bell tower, Gates of Paradise on the baptistery and visit Piazza della Signoria.
- Florence: Witness a leather-work demonstration and visit the area around Piazza Santa Croce, famous for the quality of its luxury goods.
- Pisa: See the famous gravity-defying Leaning Tower in the Square of Miracles, along with the 11th century cathedral and beautifully decorated baptistery.
- Venice: With your Travel Director cruise to St. Mark's Square and see the Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St. Mark's Basilica.
- Venice: Enjoy a traditional gondola serenade along the romantic canals.
- Assisi: With your Local Expert, visit this hill-town with its stone-built structures. See Mount Subasio and the Church of St. Mary of the Angels.
- Assisi: Find out why the Basilica of St. Francis is considered one of the crowning achievements of medieval Europe with a Local Expert.
- Sorrento: Perched upon the cliffs, lookout to see the mighty Mount Vesuvious across the Bay of Naples.
- Isle of Capri: Cruise to this famous isle through beautiful blue Mediterranean waters to meet your Local Expert.
- Isle of Capri: Wander through the narrow streets led by your Local Expert and see all the boutiques as you enjoy captivating sea views.
- Isle of Capri: In unique style, ascend by open-top taxi and return to the port by funicular.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (615) 791-4690 for more information or to book today! Mention code 14239484
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 3/31/2019
- 10 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Rome||Rome the Eternal City.: Welcome to Rome, a glorious city filled with classic antiquities, medieval buildings, Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches. Transfers depart from Rome's Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci Airport for the your hotel at 09:30, 12:30 and 15:30. Join your Travel Director at 17:30 for a uniquely Roman Welcome Dinner at a local restaurant. (Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Romanico Palace, Rome.
|Day 2||Rome||VIP Vatican and Rome with a Local.: The day is devoted to the Eternal City. Join a Local Expert for an in-depth visit to the Vatican Museums, full of priceless art treasures collected by the Popes. Insight has arranged special VIP entry to avoid the crowds and behind-the-scenes access to the Bramante Staircase, a marvel of Renaissance architecture normally off-limits to visitors. Visit the Sistine Chapel, where the Popes are elected, to admire Michelangelo's famous ceiling. Continue to St. Peter's Basilica, to wonder at another of his works, the emotive 'Pieta,' and stand beneath the dome completed after his death. There's free time to do as the Romans do, or perhaps join a tour inside the Colosseum? Rome is about art, antiquity, piazzas and pizzazz, and our included walking exploration has it in abundance. Toss a coin into the spectacular Trevi Fountain, see the Pantheon, the best preserved monument from the Roman period, and enjoy free time in Piazza Navona. (Breakfast)|
Hotel Romanico Palace, Rome.
|Day 3||Florence||Renaissance Florence.: Travel north through glorious, peaceful Tuscan landscapes. Meet your Local Expert for a guided visit through the house of the Italian Renaissance diplomat and writer, Niccolo Machiavelli, with a special opening of his private office where he wrote 'The Prince.' Visit the Italian garden for views of Florence's iconic domed cathedral and see the historic cellar which connects to one of the oldest restaurants in Italy by a secret underground tunnel. Taste wines made from the vineyards surrounding the home, accompanied by delicious samples of local Tuscan fare. Continue on to Renaissance Florence. (Breakfast / Afternoon Tea / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Athenaeum Florence.
|Day 4||Florence||Florence Sightseeing.: Join an art historian for a walking orientation of the historic city centre. A highlight is the visit to the Accademia Gallery to study Michelangelo's monumental statue, David. Continue to the multi-coloured marble cathedral to admire Giotto's bell tower and Gates of Paradise, recreated in all their glory. Visit the Piazza della Signoria, still the political heart of Florence, and explore the area around Santa Croce Basilica, famous for the quality of its luxury goods. After a demonstration of leather-work, there's free time to shop or venture on your own. In the evening, why not sample the fine Florentine cuisine of tasty starters and rich pastas accompanied by Chianti wine? (Breakfast)|
Hotel Athenaeum Florence.
|Day 5||Venice||Pisa to Venice, the Queen of the Adriatic.: In the morning, journey to the coastal town of Pisa to see the famous Leaning Tower in the Square of Miracles as well as the baptistery, with its intricately detailed marble facade, and the colonnaded bell tower lurching behind the cathedral. Then relax and enjoy the scenery as you cross the spectacular Apennine Mountains, through the Emilia-Romagna region - one of Europe's most intensely farmed fertile plains. Continue through the marshes of the Venetian Lagoon before crossing the causeway into the floating city of Venice. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Splendid Venice - Starhotels Collezion.
|Day 6||Venice||Venice and the Magic of La Serenissima.: In the morning, your private boat takes you past Palladian churches and 13th century palaces to St. Mark's Square. The first sight is the pink marble of the Doge's Palace, connected to the prisons by the Bridge of Sighs. It was from here that Casanova made his daring escape. Turn the corner, and the gilded regalia of St. Mark's Basilica comes into view. A visit to an arts centre on Giudecca Island will allow you to admire the age-old skill of glassblowing by skilled artisans. Later, board a traditional gondola for a serenade along the romantic canals. (Breakfast)|
Splendid Venice - Starhotels Collezion.
|Day 7||Assisi||Into the Hills of Umbria to Assisi.: Leave Venice and journey to peaceful Assisi, one of Italy's most beautiful mountain towns. In the valley, see the Church of St. Mary of the Angels, much venerated as the place of St. Francis' death, then continue up Mount Subasio to the upper town. With your Local Expert, step inside the huge Basilica of St. Francis, built in the 13th century, where the frescoes by Giotto heralded a new era in Italian art. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Giotto Assisi.
|Day 8||Sorrento||Sorrento on the coast.: Travel south passing Cassino, the scene of a fierce battle during World War II. Follow the spectacular clifftop road to the picturesque resort of Sorrento, overlooking the Bay of Naples to Mount Vesuvious. After checking in to your hotel, spend the rest of the day at your leisure. (Breakfast)|
Hotel Regina, Sorrento.
|Day 9||Capri||Capri, the Isle of Dreams.: In the morning, cruise to the Isle of Capri. Under the Mediterranean sun, take a funicular ride up to Capri town where your Local Expert will take you around the narrow alleyways to browse exclusive boutiques and enjoy views over the Tyrrhenian Sea. Perhaps join an optional cruise around Capri? Descend to the port in one of the island's iconic open-top taxis and return to Sorrento for some time to relax. In the evening, join your fellow travellers for a memorable Celebration Dinner of delicious Italian cuisine and wine. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Regina, Sorrento.
|Day 10||Naples||Transfer to Naples Airport.: In the morning, transfers arrive at Naples airport at 06:00 and 08:00. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. (2) Solo Traveller Savings: There is a 90% reduction to the Single Supplement on these departures, subject to availability. Isle of Capri: Open-top taxis are dependent on favourable weather conditions. (3a) This departure stays in Venice during Venice Carnival. (1a) Christmas Markets: These departures explore in select cities. (1b) Festive Highlight Dinners: Christmas Day in Assisi. (1c) New year's Eve in Florence.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class